Effective Business Writing
Effective business writing matters.
We could stop the page there as that simple sentence sums it up.
If you think about it, every day you will have to communicate with someone through the written word. It could be a report, letter, meeting note or email.
Does it really matter how you write?
The simple answer to that is yes.
Especially in today’s technological world because most of our reading is done from a screen, whether it’s on a PC, laptop, tablet or smartphone.
And as reading from a screen is harder than from print, your writing skills must adopt screen-friendly techniques.
During this course you will look at areas such as:
- Understanding what you are writing and to whom
- How to write in a screen-friendly way
- Email etiquette
- Why proofreading is so important
This insightful and fun seminar is followed up by a 1:1 coaching session for each participant.
By the end of the course you will be familiar with the writing techniques practised by accomplished business writers.
“Writing efficiently for the screen following this simple rule: “Get to the point fast, say what’s necessary – then STOP!”
Effective Business Writing Course Details
To make your business writing purposeful, clear, persuasive and successful.
By the end of this training, you will have learned how to use the writing techniques practised by accomplished Business Writers.
Emails, reports, meeting notes or position papers, they’re all the same at heart because A) all business writing informs, instructs, persuades or documents B) most business writing is read from the screen – desktops, laptops, or mobile devices.
The screen-reading point matters; screen reading is 25% harder on the eye than print reading. Borrowing the techniques of the multi-billion dollar website design industry, this training teaches a writing style designed to make the screen-readers life easier and help you get your message across clearly and concisely.
- Understanding Business Writing: The struggle for short, simple and human business writing
- Pre-Writing Triple A: Knowing the Aim of your writing task, your Audience and their needs, and your Approach – how to order your content.
- Faster Drafting: Some simple cures for writers’ block – Word Chucking, Bogus Paragraphs, Outlining and similar.
- Editing Using Screen-Style: A plain language style designed to get your message across to the Screen-reader quickly and exactly as you intend
- Proofreading: Checking your work for grammar, spelling, punctuation and word use.
- Practising Email Etiquette: Responding calmly, sounding businesslike, behaving decently, using common sense, curbing the comedy, showing consideration.